Syd Silvair is an up-and-coming singer – and a tarot reader by day! – making waves based in New York City, and we’re giving Just Jared readers an exclusive chance to know her a little better.
Inspired by the narratives of Tarot cards, Syd released her debut EP Reverie on Friday (May 8).
Each track on the debut set, which brings to mind the throwback crooning style of Lana Del Rey and the witchy wonder of Stevie Nicks, and is said to “capture the essence of a specific tarot card, weaving wisdom from the card’s meaning into the lyrics and mood of the song.”
Listen to the Reverie EP and check out 10 Fun Facts about Syd Silvair…
- 1. I have an 18 pound black cat with 6 toes on each front paw (aka a “Hemingway cat”), who was found abandoned under a car as a kitten.
- 2. I play an instrument called the theremin (typically associated with old school sci-fi music). As far as I know, it’s the only instrument that can be played without touching it.
- 3. I’ve had to pick up some unusual side gigs to support my music over the years, my favorite being Halloween costume modeling (New Yorkers may have seen my picture in the windows of Ricky’s as ‘Demonique’).
- 4. My mom taught me the art of thrift store shopping at a young age, so 95% of my clothes are thrifted.
- 5. This is going to sound like a lie but I promise it’s not: my grandpa invented the Mimosa. He owned a restaurant in Southampton throughout the 70’s, where he created a cocktail using Mumm champagne & orange juice, so it was originally called a “Mummosa.”
Click inside to read more fun facts from Syd Silvair…
- 6. When I was a kid, that same grandpa promised me that if I could grow my hair long enough to sit on it, he would buy me a horse. I never quite got there despite completely boycotting haircuts. I’ve had extremely long hair most of my life–I think there’s a part of me that’s still trying to get that horse.
- 7. Very often, I’ll dream about obscure, specific images, and then I’ll see them the next day. I’m still trying to figure out how I can make this power useful.
- 8. A long time ago, my doctor told me I had no tonsils. He couldn’t tell me why (I never had them removed).
- 9. I became a vegetarian at age 9, when I realized that meat was made from animals, and I haven’t eaten meat since.
- 10. In kindergarten (before my existential crisis about eating meat), I was obsessed with popcorn shrimp. On my birthday.