Terry Crews opened up exclusively to Us Weekly about 25 things you might not know about him — including his love for drawing, his favorite meme of himself and the fellow celebrity he often gets mistaken for. Read on to learn more about the Brooklyn Nine-Nine actor.
1. My favorite cheat meal is a brick-oven pizza!
2. My first paying job was as a courtroom sketch artist for my local news station. It was a very wild experience.
3. If I were on America’s Got Talent, I’d play the flute. I’m pretty good. I’m waiting for a Lizzo duet!
4. I love drawing faces. I just did Danai Gurira, Gal Gadot and Sylvester Stallone!
5. I thought I was going to be a special-effects artist after I saw Star Wars.
6. I’m a book nut. I have thousands of books.
7. My favorite meme of myself is from White Chicks, when I was singing “And I miss you” from Vanessa Carlton’s song “A Thousand Miles.”
8. My wife [Rebecca King-Crews] would say my best quality is my heart. I’ll cry in a minute and she thinks it’s so cute.
9. The most fun movie set I’ve worked on is The Longest Yard. That set was like a circus.
10. The lesson I’m trying to instill in my kids is to not be self-righteous.
11. I’m binge-watching Tiger King! Carole [Baskin] did it!
12. My favorite at-home workout is anything with resistance bands.
13. My favorite song to sing in the shower is “Stay” by Rufus and Chaka Khan.
14. I want a bigger garden. I want all the vegetables and spices in the world.
15. I [also] want to have a working farm with cows, chickens and horses. I’ll have that life soon!
16. One of my favorite props I’ve taken [from set] — I always ask first — is my shirt from The Expendables. I’m living a dream, so I want to remember it all.
17. I love making animated movies. I sent my portfolio to Disney. [Then] Toy Story came out and killed live-drawn animation. Woody killed my career, so I started acting!
18. My family loves to play Watch Ya’ Mouth. Bring a napkin, you’ll drool.
19. I used to get [mistaken for] Mike Tyson. I got into it with a woman who kept telling me we looked the same!
20. At the first concert I went to, I was working security. My bosses had to tell me to pay attention.
21. I felt I’d made it when Denzel Washington tapped me on the shoulder and said he was proud of everything I’d done. I was an extra on Training Day, and he remembered.
22. I’m a great griller. I make a rib-eye with [veggies].
23. I have over 500 custom suits. My favorite is a custom Prince of Wales suit. I feel like I could walk into the 1800s in it and people would say, “Damn, you look good!”
24. My favorite artist of all time is Leonardo da Vinci.
25. I was broke and I had a dream. I want people to know that when you see what you have — instead of what you don’t — you can get to the next step in life.
The Willoughbys is available to stream on Netflix now.
With reporting by Travis Cronin
Listen on Spotify to Watch With Us to hear more about your favorite shows and for the latest TV news!