SPOILER ALERT – Do not continue reading if you don’t want to know what happened during the Grey’s Anatomy finale!
The 16th season of Grey’s Anatomy ended earlier than expected because of the current health crisis and the final episode of the season just aired.
There were supposed to be 25 episodes this season, but only 21 episodes were completed before production shut down to keep the cast and crew safe amid the pandemic. Luckily for the show and for fans, the episode basically worked as a finale and there was even a twist at the end.
The showrunner of Grey’s, Krista Vernoff, assured fans in a tweet last weekend that they would be satisfied by the ending.
Click inside for spoilers from the episode and to read about the twist…
Here are some bullet points on the big things that happened:
- James Pickens Jr.‘s character Richard Webber has been cured of his mysterious illness. It was discovered that his hip replacement led to cobalt poisoning. The cobalt was removed and he’s better now!
- Richard’s marriage to Catherine (Debbie Allen) is in danger after he kicked her out of the room. He told her, “Did you stand by me while I was being fired? You buy my hospital to humiliate me, or is that my mind playing tricks, too.”
- Andrew DeLuca (Giacomo Giannoti) had a breakdown during the episode, which adds to the bipolar disorder-like symptoms he’s been experiencing.
- Amelia (Caterina Scorsone) and Link (Chris Carmack) have welcomed their baby into the world, though he wasn’t present for the birth as he was performing surgery on Webber.
And for that big twist…
- Owen (Kevin McKidd) and Teddy (Kim Raver) were supposed to get married during the episode, but she ended up having one last fling with Tom (Greg Germann). She somehow recorded an audio of the fling and it was sent to Owen, who heard it in front of his colleagues.
- Owen decided to postpone the wedding by claiming he got called into surgery and Teddy found out when she arrived at the venue to find everything being taken apart.
So, what is going to happen next?
Deadline spoke to Krista and asked why Owen and Teddy haven’t found their happy ending yet and if Owen can forgive Teddy.
“I think that those are questions that we will have to explore in Season 17. I will say that of all the storylines that were left hanging, that is the one that I was the most disappointed about,” Krista said. “Actually, there were two: I’m disappointed that I cannot give Teddy — we had an episode coming up where we were able to better articulate and better understand what’s prompting Teddy’s behavior, and we don’t get to air it. Who knows, maybe it’s going to change between now and when we’ll actually shoot it for Season 17, but I feel for Kim Raver. The amount of standing is high, and we’ve left her in a strange place. It’s compelling, and why? Your question is big. Why? Why would she sabotage — why, when she was finally getting her happy ending, did she sabotage it? I think it’s the super-rich area personally.”
She added, “And then the other story that I was really disappointed that we couldn’t complete — and I will tell you that I haven’t told this to anyone else, but we did a story where there as a victim of human trafficking, like two episodes ago, and DeLuca we got recognized it but he was in such a mentally compromised, manic state that nobody listened to him and the girl left. We had an episode where she comes back, and I am really sad that we can’t air that episode this season because it felt important to offer that kind of hope to people who are living that experience. I may still complete that story next season.”